Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor Review
Polar FT4 is a full-fledge heart rate monitor with numerous features. You can wear it like a modern watch, but it performs all the functions of heart rate monitor. It has comfortable and durable strap, which provides the accurate heart rate data. It comes in various color and suitable for both men and women.
Polar is famous for its heart rate monitor and its accuracy. FT4 is a high rated product from Polar. It comes with a Chest Strap and a wristwatch. In general chest strap monitors are considered more accurate. This monitor transmits the data from the chest strap to the wrist watch in coded form ( Polar OwnCode 5khz coded transmission). Coding prevents any kind of interferences from other devices. Thus, provide accurate readings that belong to you.
Ease of Use:
FT4 is pretty easy to use and has lots of features:
- Continuous heart rate reading: It shows heart rate reading continuously. It keep your fitness training simple.
- HeartTouch: Hearttouch feature makes your life easy. To view time, you need not press any button. To see the current time and other readings quickly, just bring the watch near the chest strap and for few seconds the current time is displayed, then it goes back to the previous screen.
- Graphical target zone indicator: FT4 displays the zone you are in during a training session in graphical format. This helps you to maintain desired intensity zone.
- Comfort for Chest Strap: It has soft fabric cloth, which is very comfortable, and take shape of your body. You cannot feel them. In addition, the maintenance is very easy. Default chest strap fits most people. Monitor comes with M to XXL chest strap that fits 30-45 inches. However if you need some other size XS or Small, you can order them separately. Check price for XS/Small Chest Strap
- Manual target zones: Allows you to manually set the target zone. Target zone can be set as beats per minute (bpm), or as a percentage of your maximum heart rate, or as a percentage of your heart rate reserve (HRR%). Polar FT80 and FT60 have the feature that automatically set the target zones.
- Audible Alarms: FT4 has zone alarm that will beep when you cross your permissible heart rate limit.
- Transfer data: FT4 doesn’t allow transferring the data to your computer or to web. However, it supports gymlink that connects the device to compatible gym equipments and your gym equipment shows the readings
- Memory: Allow 10 files to be stored in the memory along with weekly history.
- Calories Burned: OwnCal feature displays total calories burned in a single session and in the overall training.
- Display: The display panel of FT4 is amazingly large. It has backlight, so that one can view the readings in dim or dark light. However, few users feel the green colored backlight does not serve the purpose.
- Watch with Time and Alarm: It displays time and date like a normal watch and you can set audible alarms.
- Battery: Provides low battery alerts and the battery is user Replaceable.
- Water Resistance: Its suitable for swimming and works 30 meters underwater. You can view the readings; but it is unsafe to operate on the buttons.
- Multi Language Support: It supports English, German, Finnish, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian.
Value for Money:
FT4 is simple to use. However, there is one major feature which it lacks is you can’t transfer your data to other external device. Hence, the price is appropriate as the features it has. If you want transfer feature, you can opt for Polar FT60, FT80. Other great choice with respect to value for money would be FT7. FT4 vs FT7 would depend on your need.
Standard Box Contains:
- 1 Polar FT4 training computer (Wrist Watch)
- 1 Polar H1 heart rate sensor (Along with Chest Strap)
- 1 FT4 Getting Started Guide
- 2 CR2 Batteries required (Included)
Polar FT4 is having all the basic features and few advanced features. It is enough for the normal usage. However, it lacks few interesting features such as data transfer to other external devices, limited training features, GPS, pedometer. In the same series, FT7 is with more features and FT1 is with lesser features. You can choose based on what you need. For details, you can refer comparison between FT7, FT4 and FT1. Overall, for its price FT4 is a good deal.